Instant Pot Risotto Milanese
Published: January 21 2020
There's something about saffron, cheese, and butter when combined that make any dish magical. And magical is exactly what this recipe is. Cheesy and vibrant in color, our Insta Pot Risotto Milanese is perfect for a warm winter dinner.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine, such as pinot grigio (if you prefer to not use wine, substitute with chicken broth)
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 pinches of Rumi saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons butter plus 4 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano cheese, plus additional for garnish
- Set Instant Pot to saute setting.
- Steep the saffron in the broth. Warm the broth in the in the microwave and stir the saffron threads into the broth.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to Instant Pot. Wait until the butter stops foaming (about two minutes) and then add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Saute, stirring frequently, until softened (about three minutes).
- Add rice to pot and stir until rice starts to get translucent (about five minutes).
- Pour the chicken broth with saffron into the pot. Lock the lid and cook at high pressure setting for 5 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure. Remove lid, be sure to tilt it away from you to avoid the steam.
- Mix in the 4 tablespoons of butter until it melts. Then add grated cheese and pepper.
- Serve immediately, topped with additional cheese for garnish.