Celebrate Earth Day with Sustainable Agriculture & Direct Sourcing
In honor of Earth Day on April 22nd, we are taking a closer look at sustainable farming, more commonly referred to as sustainable agriculture. The goal of sustainable agriculture is to meet society’s needs without compromising the same needs of future generations.
Everyone is involved in the food system - farmers and growers, food processors, distributors, retailers, waste managers, and consumers. We all play a role in ensuring we maintain a sustainable agricultural system, including you!
What is Sustainable Agriculture?
In sustainable agriculture, there are many practices individuals can employ to support the three pillars of sustainable agriculture: a healthy environment, economic profitability, and social and economic equity.
Farmers and growers may use farming methods that lower pollution levels, minimize water use, and promote soil health, while companies, consumers, and retailers can look for foods and products that are grown and produced using methods that are environmentally friendly and promote farmworker wellbeing.
Rumi Spice, A Force for Good
Rumi Spice began with one simple mission: to cultivate peace in Afghanistan. We strongly believe creating demand for Afghan agricultural products, like saffron and other wild-grown spices, will catalyze rural economic development while promoting farmworker well-being.
Over 80% of the Afghan population is reliant on the rural agricultural economy.
The success of the Afghan spice industry not only helps farmers and Afghan women by providing direct labor, but it also touches every member of the villages we work in. Additionally, all of our saffron and spices are sustainably grown. No herbicides or pesticides are used in the farming or processes of these spices -only land, water, and seeds, just the way Mother Nature intended it.
Our mission is threefold:
1. Economically empower Afghan farmers
2. Inspire Afghan women through direct wages, and
3. Bring sustainable and fair spices to a retail category where this is seldom seen.
As a Certified B Corp, we work hard to meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability, while using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. All in a day’s work, right?
Our team is working hard to implement Afghan-based organic certification in Afghanistan. Stay tuned for updates!
How Can You Support Sustainable Agriculture?
When it comes to sustainable agriculture, there is plenty consumers can do to support these systems and their practices including:
- Look for, shop, and support value-based companies like Rumi Spice, and some of our other favorite B Corp brands (listed below)
- Purchase from brands that support farmworker wellbeing and the environment
- Consider companies that use sustainable packaging. Rumi Spice's signature glass bottles and cork-tops are both natural, renewable, and recyclable. We are excited to introduce more sustainable packaging formats later this year, stay tuned for updates!
It’s not just sustainable agriculture practices that consumers can partake in. You can also create sustainable lifestyle practices, such as:
- Using reusable water bottles and grocery bags
- Ditching single-use plastic (A great alternative to single-use plastic wrap is beeswax wrap, we're big fans of Abeego, another proud B Corp).
- Finding a way to repurpose food and kitchen scraps (We love making herby chutneys using leftovers herbs and veggie stems).
- Reducing waste by buying in bulk
- Starting a compost pile
Here are a few of our favorite brands, using business as a force for good and working to preserve our earth:
- Connect Snacks - Delicious popcorn that's better for our planet's health
- Bona Furtuna - Italian olive oil, harvested through sustainable farming practices
- Abeego - Reusable beeswax, a great replacement for plastic wrap
- Eco Promotions Online - Eco-friendly promotional products
- Lake Champlain Chocolates - Delicious fair trade chocolates, reducing toxins in the environment by sourcing organic ingredients
There are many facets to the success of sustainable agriculture, but you can still play a part in its success by making more mindful decisions about your food and which brands and companies you support. Won’t you join us and support our mission?
Happy Earth Day!