Lamb Kofta w/ Rumi Spice Afghan Blend
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lg. sweet onion (about 1 cup), finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (substitute parsley if sensitive to cilantro)
- 2 tbsp. Rumi Spice Afghan Blend
- 1 tbsp. Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. sunflower, canola or vegetable oil
- 1 - 28oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion (about 1⁄3 cup), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Rumi Spice Paella Blend
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 2 oz. fresh feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- 4 pita breads, lightly toasted (optional)
- Chopped cilantro or parsley (optional)
In a medium bowl, mix the lamb kofta ingredients - including the Rumi Spice Afghan Blend
seasoning - until ingredients are evenly distributed, and form long, thick patties, similar to
sausage (but without casings). There should be enough meat for 20 patties.
In a large skillet (with no extra oil) and a high flame, sear the kofta patties until they are crispy
on all sides. Remove, lower the heat to medium low, and begin to build the tomato broth by
adding the diced onions, kosher salt, garlic powder and Rumi Spice Paella Blend seasoning. Let the onions cook down, then add the canned (we use boxed) diced tomatoes, and let simmer on medium-low heat for about 15minutes. Return the kofta patties to the tomato broth for the last five minutes to cook through. To serve, lightly toast pita bread, and top with crumbled feta cheese and chopped cilantro or parsley. Enjoy!
Pro Tip: If you can’t find ground lamb at the local supermarket, butcher or farmer’s market, you can feel free to substitute ground beef. It won’t be exactly the same, but this recipe works
perfectly with ground beef, chicken and fish (salmon, tuna).