Crispy Air Fried Kabul Piquant Orange Chicken
Crispy Air Fried Kabul Piquant Chicken
- 1 - ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp Rumi Kabul Piquant Spice Blend, divided
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from about 2 medium oranges)
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
¼ cup water, plus more as needed
- Thinly-sliced scallions or fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and 1 Tbsp each salt and Kabul Piquant spice blend. Set aside.
- In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, saking off any excess. Dunk in the eggs until coated. Dredge again in the flour mixture until well coated on all sides. Repeat until all of the chicken is lightly coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees and generously spray the basket with cooking spray.
Transfer the chicken to the air fryer basket in a single layer (working in batches if necessary) and cook for about 8 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking for about 8 minutes more, until the chicken is cooked through and crispy.
Meanwhile, combine the orange juice and zest, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ¼ cup water, 2 tsp Kabul Piquant Spice and ½ tsp salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, whisking to combine. Continue simmering over medium-medium/low until the sauce has thickened to a saucy consistency, about 10 minutes. Keep warm over low heat.
Remove chicken from the air fryer basket and add to a large mixing bowl. Pour over your orange sauce and toss until well coated.
Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with fresh scallions or cilantro and serve warm.