Whether they are on the cob (elotes) or off (esquites), this buttery, delicious street food from Mexico is very simple to make at home. Try it out using Rumi’s spicy & sweet Berbere Spice Blend or our earthy & peppery Southwest Chili Spice Blend.
- 4 ears of corn
- 4 Tbsp butter
- ⅔ tsp Rumi Berbere Spice Blend or Rumi Southwest Chili Spice Blend
- ⅔ cup crumbled cojita cheese
- 4 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 quartered lime
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Grill corn for 10 minutes or until a slight char develops on all sides.
- Melt butter in a small bowl.
- Put the cotija cheese on a flat plate.
- Brush melted butter onto corn and then roll it in the cotija cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and Berbere or Southwest Chili Spice Blend.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- Eat it on the cob (elotes) or off the cob (esquites).
- Cut corn kernels off the cob.
- Preheat cast iron pan to medium-heat and add butter.
- Cook corn for 10 minutes or until it looks toasted.
- Remove corn and place in a mixing bowl.
- Squeeze in some lime juice and mix in cilantro and Berbere or Southwest Chili Spice Blend.
- Serve in cups or small bowls topped with cotija cheese.