Mulled Wine with Rumi Mulling Spice Blend
Published: November 26 2017Winter is fast approaching, so now is the time to break out our new traditional mulling spice for a mulled wine! We opted for one of our favorite mulled wines, the Danish 'gløgg', for this recipe. Danes are known as the masters of all things 'hygge' (the trendy Danish word for 'cozy'), and they really hit the mark with their mulled wine. And yes, we of course had a real Dane test out our blend - he gave it two thumbs way up!
- (for ~ 1 liter gløgg)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (can add more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 4 Tbsp. Rumi Traditional Mulling Spice Blend
- 1 bottle (750 mL) heavy bodied wine, such as malbec or merlot
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In a small pot, bring water, brown sugar, and Rumi Traditional Mulling Spice blend to a boil. Let simmer 15-20 minutes until thick and syrupy. Taste, adding up to an additional 1/4 cup brown sugar to reach desired sweetness.
- Meanwhile, heat bottle of wine in slow cooker on low - making sure to not let wine come to boil! Once wine is hot and steaming, strain spice syrup into slow cooker. Add rum, raisins, and almonds. Enjoy once mulled wine is nice and hot, ~ 5-10 minutes. Serve with ladle and don't forget a spoon to enjoy the lovely mulled raisins at the bottom of your cup!