Za’atar Pinwheel Rolls
Za'atar Pinwheel Rolls
2 teaspoons active dry teast
¼ cup warm water (not boiling)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 cup bread flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
¼ cup Rumi Spice Za’atar spice blend
Microwave ¼ cup of water in a small bowl until warm to the touch, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the yeast and set aside until frothy, 5-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the flours, salt, milk, ¼ cup of olive oil, and the yeast/water mixture. Whisk until well combined. Using your hands, form the mixture into a sticky ball.
- Place the sticky dough on a floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth. (If the dough is still sticky, add more flour as necessary until smooth and elastic).
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a warm kitchen towel. Set the bowl in a warm place for about 2-3 hours, until the dough is doubled in size.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch down the dough. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface into a rectangle, about 1-inch thick.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ½ cup of olive oil and Za’atar spice.
- Using a pastry brush, spread the Za’atar oil all over the dough, spreading it into a single layer.
- Starting at the bottom, roll the dough up into a log.
- Cut the dough into 16-18 pieces and place the Za’atar rolls onto a greased baking sheet.
Cover the rolls with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm palace for 1 hour more, to finish proofing.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with olive oil or melted butter and transfer to the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden around the edges.
Let cool completely before serving. Enjoy!