Cumin Spiced Shepherd's Pie
Published: December 23 2019
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb lamb, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 stick butter, cubed
- 1 Tbsp Rumi Spice Black Cumin
- 1 Tbsp coriander, ground
- 1 Tbsp black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp paprika (1/2 reserved for garnish, 1/2 reserved for filling)
- 1 Tbsp salt (1/2 reserved for topping, 1/2 reserved for filling)
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bring a pot of water to boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, but still firm (about 15 minutes). Drain pot. Add butter, heavy cream, and 1/2 Tbsp salt and mash until smooth.
Add olive oil to large frying pan and heat on medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until onion is translucent. Add lamb and cook until browned. Add carrots, peas, flour, Rumi Spice cumin, coriander, black pepper, 1/2 Tbsp paprika, and 1/2 Tbsp salt. Combine well. Simmer until mixture thickens (about 10-12 minutes). Remove from heat.
Spoon lamb mixture into greased baking dish (8 cup capacity). Dollop mixture with mashed potatoes and the rest of the paprika sprinkled on top (1/2 Tbsp).
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until mashed potatoes are lightly browed.