Bastani | Persian Saffron Ice Cream
Persian Saffron Ice Cream, or Bastani, is an excellent dessert for those early days of spring. The addition of Rumi Saffron fresh from the harvest imparts a taste reminiscent of an early spring rain. Impress your friends and family with this traditional Persian delicacy.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1T Rose Water
- 1 pinch (1/8t) Rumi Saffron
- 1/4c Crushed Pistachios
- Set a medium bowl in a large bowl of ice water. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar until pale, about 3 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, salt, saffron, and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and bring to a simmer, whisking until the sugar is completely dissolved. Whisk the hot cream mixture into the beaten egg yolks in a thin stream.
- Transfer the mixture to the saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the custard is thick enough to lightly coat the back of the spoon, about 4 minutes; don’t let it boil. Pour the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into the medium bowl in the ice water. Let cool completely, stirring frequently. Refrigerate the custard until very cold, at least 1 hour.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker with pistachios and rose water and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer the frozen custard to a plastic container, cover and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
Enjoy, and as always share your pictures with us. You can find us @Rumi_Spice on Instagram and Twitter.