For crust (or use a prepared 9-inch graham cracker crust):
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp Rumi saffron threads
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest (about 1 large lemon)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
- Heavy whipping cream for serving (whipped)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together in the bottom of a 9" pie dish. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool until crust is slightly warm to the touch.
- Turn the oven down to 325F.
- While the crust is cooling, prepare the filling. Warm buttermilk slightly (no more than 120F) and add saffron. Let buttermilk saffron steep for 10 minutes.
- Blend egg yolks, eggs, saffron buttermilk, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt together in large bowl using an electric mixer until smooth. Keep mixer running and slowly add flour, then butter.
- Pour filling into crust and bake until filling is set around the edge but middle is still wiggly, about 55-65 minutes.
- Rotate pie halfway through baking and cover the edges with foil if the pie starts to brown too much.
- Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavor deepen a bit more. Serve with fresh whipped cream if desired.
Alternate recipe: Substitute lime or orange for a different citrus flavor. If you're a fan of citrus and chocolate, try making the crust with chocolate graham crackers.