Spanish Seafood Paella with Saffron
Most people are familiar with Saffron through Paella. Did you know that Spain only produces 10% of the Saffron that it exports? High quality Saffron makes all the difference in this Spanish classic.
Rumi has a terrific Paella Spice Blend specially developed to capture the essence of the Spanish coastline. This zesty, aromatic blend pairs well with the flavor of saffron. The dominant flavor is the sweet and smokey from paprika, while the saffron adds floral notes and an edgy quality.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound sausage - chorizo preferred
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Rumi Spice Paella Spice Blend
- 1 large pinch Rumi Saffron - about 10 threads
- 1 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed well
- 4 lemon wedges and fresh parsley (optional)
- Crush Rumi Saffron between fingers and place in a bath of warm water (3 tablespoons) to let the flavor and aroma steep. The water will turn bright yellow within 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are halfway softened, about 2 minutes. Add sausage until cooked, then remove vegetable-sausage mixture from heat and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add rice, and let the oil heat it until the rice starts to show clear.
- Add broth, thyme, salt, pepper, Rumi Spice Paella Spice Blend and saffron-water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, peas, and the vegetable-sausage mix. Place mussels on top of the rice in an even layer. Cover and continue cooking until the mussels have opened and the rice is tender, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let rest, covered, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.
Sounds simple? We've made this great recipe video to show you exactly how to do it.