You're going to enjoy this twist on the traditional Thanksgiving turkey - if you're up for a flavorful adventure! Here's a recipe for Berbere-spiced roasted turkey served with orange aioli we adapted from eatingwell.com: the spicy, peppery, and mildly sweet flavor of berbere packs serious flavor.
|Prep Time:||30 minutes|
|Cook Time:||3 hrs and 45 minutes|
- 1 10-to-12-pound turkey, thawed
- 3 medium oranges
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 2 Tbsp butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup berbere spice blend
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dry off the surface of the turkey by patting it dry with paper towels. Then let is stand for 45 minutes at room temperature.
- As the turkey rests, zest 1 orange. Peel and cut the other 3 oranges into 6 wedges each. Mix the zest, garlic, and mayonnaise in a bowl - then refrigerate.
- Line a roasting pan with foil and coat surface with cooking spray, then add water. Position the rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Rub butter all over the turkey. Season with berbere and salt - making sure to rub the outside, inside, and underneath the skin and onto the breast meat.
- Take the orange wedges and fill the cavity. Then tie the legs together with butcher's twine.
- Place the turkey breast-down onto the roasting pan—roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn over the turkey - breast up - using tongs. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours - until the breast meat's internal temperature is at 165 degrees F.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Then transfer to a cutting board for carving. Serve with the orange aioli.
Recipe adapted from Berbere-Rubbed Roast Turkey with Orange Aioli by (eatingwell.com 2017)