Saffron Toasted Quinoa with I Heart Keenwah
- 2 pinches Rumi Spice Afghan saffron threads
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1 cup I Heart Keenwah Toasted White Quinoa, dry
- 2 cups water
- salt (to taste)
- Place saffron threads in a bowl and add 1 cup of hot water. Allow the saffron to steep for 5 minutes.
- Separately, add onion and olive oil to a pan and cook on medium until onion turns translucent.
- Add quinoa, 1 cup of saffron-infused water and an additional 1 cup of water (in total: 2 cups of liquid) and bring to a rigorous boil.
- Cover pot and simmer on your stove's lowest setting for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let rest (still covered) for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover. Fluff with a fork and top with salt.